St Andrew, Glencairn

Glencairn Methodist Church

Home Page

Hot News

Staff and contact details

Sunday Services

Weekday activities

Prayer notes

The Church building

Some past events

Other links

February 2009


Banners and Buses


You may have read in the daily papers about a poster campaign by the British Humanist Association (BHA). They have paid bus companies in some parts of England to display a banner proclaiming:


"There is probably no God; so stop worrying and enjoy life"


You may even have seen one of these if you local bus company has displayed them.


This has upset some Christians, but I don't think we should be too upset. You see, by saying that there is probably no God, they are unwittingly also saying that there  probably is a God!


Look at it like this: Either there is a God or there is no God. Suppose the probability that there is no God is 0.9 (or 90%). Then the probability that there is a God is 0.1 (or 10%). Or if the probability that there is no God is 0.1 (10%), then the probability that there is a God is 0.9 (or 90%). In other words the BHA don't really know what they are talking about! So thank you BHA for proclaiming that there probably is a God. This gives Christians the opportunity to say that there is not doubt about it:


"There CERTAINLY is a God; so stop worrying and enjoy life TO THE FULL!"


Here are some things Jesus said:


"He who believes has everlasting life" [John 3:47]


"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" [John 10:10]


If you are not sure about God, then start going to church and meet people who believe in God, talk to them and ask questions. Come to St Andrew's if you like and talk to us.




6 February 2009


NOTE - Previous "Monthly Messages" are archived at